If you completed a 2011 filing on a 2011 form (for example), the "Prior Year Filing" box would not need to be checked. However, this box needs to be checked if you are completing a 1988-2010 year filing which is filed on the current year's form (the 2014 form at this time). This box ONLY appears on the draft Form 5500 and will not appear on the final PDF version of the form.
If you received a "Not Accepted" status due to the following DOL edit check:
--> Error: Form Year in the Filing Header is not valid for the plan year, which is determined by the Plan Year Begin date in the Filing Header.
You will need to "Amend" your filing to review your draft Form 5500 to determine if you will need to check or un-check this box.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- How do I clear a radio button (e.g. "Yes" or "No" response) on my form or schedule?
- How Do I Prepare A Prior Year Filing For 2002-2008?
- How do I Prepare Form 5500-SF for a One-Participant/Foreign Plan?
- How do I Complete a Final or Short Year Filing When the Next Year's Form is not yet Available?
- How do I Prepare a Prior Year Filing for 1988-2001, 2009-15?
- How would I Prepare a Form 5500 Filing for a Client that needs to use the DFVC Program?
- How do I Remove a Blank Entry from the Middle of Schedule D?
- What is the "Prior Year Filing" Checkbox on the Draft Form 5500/SF used for?