Completing a Prior Year Filing for 1988-2001, 2009-11:
To prepare a prior year filing for 1988-2001 or 2009-15, you will need to select the appropriate year from the drop-down list of 5500 forms. For example, if you are completing a filing for 2000, you will select the year 2000 from the drop-down list below "5500 Forms," add your Form 5500/Schedule(s) from the "Add Schedules" box and complete your filing. The Form 5500 that displays will be the most current year's form.
If you need to include Schedules B, E, R, P, T, MB, or SB with a prior year filing, these are filed on the original year's forms and added to the filing as PDF attachments using "Other Attachment". You may obtain the Schedules by clicking here.
Note: the DOL is requiring the 2009-2015 Form 5500s to be filed on the 2019 Form 5500 (or the most current year's form). Your plan year beginning and ending dates will display as 2009 or 2010 (etc.), but the form date will reflect 2019. The DOL will continue to maintain only four years worth of forms: beginning January 1, 2019, the DOL will require the 2009-2015 Form 5500 to be filed on the 2019 Form 5500.
Please click here to review additional prior year filing instructions in the 5500 User Guide.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- How do I clear a radio button (e.g. "Yes" or "No" response) on my form or schedule?
- How Do I Prepare A Prior Year Filing For 2002-2008?
- How do I Prepare Form 5500-SF for a One-Participant/Foreign Plan?
- How do I Complete a Final or Short Year Filing When the Next Year's Form is not yet Available?
- How do I Prepare a Prior Year Filing for 1988-2001, 2009-15?
- How would I Prepare a Form 5500 Filing for a Client that needs to use the DFVC Program?
- How do I Remove a Blank Entry from the Middle of Schedule D?
- What is the "Prior Year Filing" Checkbox on the Draft Form 5500/SF used for?